Wednesday, November 12, 2008

I love my students!

There have been many ups and downs in the last few months as our new medical/scientific English curriculum has begun here at Kyudai. The ups of course include that I love my students and am constantly amazed by their intelligence, curiosity, and enthusiasm.

The downs include that I am learning how hard life is for medical students. They are often exhausted from all of the studying that is necessary to keep up with their classes and I'm sure they must sometimes feel burnt out. I'm trying very hard not to take it personally when students doze off in class. In fact, I have put a lot of effort into trying to keep the class moving forward in a way that will keep them alert--which can be very difficult in a class of 115 students!

My latest challenge: To keep even the sleepiest of sleepyheads awake and on topic during class.

No comments: