Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Speaking English when you can.

About a week ago I had an opportunity to get together with several friends and acquaintances for dinner. The purpose of the party was for me to introduce some of my English speaking friends to others who enjoy speaking English. It was a very enjoyable evening.

One of the things that is great about this city is that there are a lot of people with amazing talents, including English speaking talents. For many years I lived in a rural area of Kumamoto prefecture and never had any opportunities to speak English with anyone but my own family. It was a great time for me to improve my Japanese skills, but I did miss using my own language. Now I am surrounded by talented English speakers and it's great!

Sometimes my friends or students lament their lack of opportunity to speak English while living in Japan. They seem to think that the only chance they'll have to improve their English skills is if they go abroad to an English speaking country. I'd like to counter that argument with another one. What about the scores of people right here who also want to improve their English skills? Why can't we take every opportunity we have to use English and just go for it?

The dinner party I attended last week was a perfect example. Of the almost 20 attendees, there were 15 Japanese members. Actually, all of the non-Japanese members were able to speak Japanese, but we all made a point of speaking English.

I'd like to see more people taking advantage of every chance they have to speak English or any other language they are learning. You don't have to go abroad, you just have to be courageous. Give it a try. It's fun!

FT

1 comment:

qwyrxian said...

As a foreign (non-Japanese) attendee at that party, I have to say that was a wonderful dinner. I think you did a great job of finding an interesting group of people to gather and chat in English. English development shouldn't be reserved for only formal occasions like class. I know that I find it much easier to talk in Japanese in a casual situations. And a little drinking helps too :). Thanks for organizing the event.