Thursday, May 27, 2010

Tokushima Adventure: Do you have a pen?

Since I didn't have time for sightseeing while I was in Tokushima, forgetting my pen became a blessing in disguise.

When I first came to Japan, over 20 years ago, I used to wonder why everyone I met knew the phrase "do you have a pen?" and often tried it out on me when they saw me.  I later learned that this was one of the first phrases students learned in their school English classes.  Over the years I have wondered who would ever think that learning the phrase "do you have a pen?" would lead to any sort of meaningful conversation.

Well, between sessions at the Toastmasters conference, I slipped out of the building to find a convenience store and buy a pen.  However, I soon found that unlike Fukuoka where there is practically a convenience store every 100 meters, there were NO convenience stores to be seen!  I walked and walked and walked and walked. No convenience stores.  After a fair distance, I realized that I needed to turn back or I would miss the next session of the conference altogether.

I decided to go down a few streets and find an alternate route on the way back in the hopes of finding a convenience store there.  Well, I didn't find a convenience store, but I did find a lovely path along a river where I could enjoy a beautiful view as I walked in the sunshine.  Along the way, an elderly gentleman on a bicycle asked me "where from?"  That began a nice chat during which we exchanged pleasantries.

I returned to the conference and took the next opportunity I had to run outside and go off in the opposite direction in search of a pen. In that direction I came upon a "paper" shop.  I thought to myself, "where there is paper, there will be pens."  Unfortunately, this paper shop turned out to be a very specialized shop that really sold ONLY paper! It was run by another elderly gentleman, and as I was the only patron in the quiet shop, I felt compelled to buy something before leaving.  I ended up buying a small package of overpriced facial oil blotting paper.  But I got the chance to share a smile and a few words with the proprietor and happily went on my way.

Finally, I was resigned to return in the direction of my hotel near the train station.  I had a pen in my room, so I thought it was about time for me to make the trek back there to get it.  To my surprise, about halfway there I finally found a convenience store where I bought a pen for 105yen.

In the end, my forgotten pen was the one thing that led me outside to where I could see a bit of the lovely city of Tokushima.  I don't have any photos, but I have my memories of my pen-searching adventure, and adventure truly worth the taking!

1 comment:

Fumio Miyahara said...

This is not a comment on your club (Kyushu University Toastmasters), but an inquiry about it.

I am somehow interested in your meetings conducted in English.

Can I visit your meeting of June 11?

My name is Fumio Miyahara. I am not a student or teacher of Kyushu University. I am what is called a "senior citizen," but I am a graduate of the university.

I would appreciate it if you could let me know what sort of qualifications and conditions are required for joining you.